Know where to SPLURGE and where to SAVE to make your wardrobe – and wallet – last!
As the seasons change, one of the things that plagues most people when building their wardrobe is the question of where to splurge versus where to save. Here’s a quick overview on how to decide where you can pinch pennies and where to treat yourself!
Need a good closet purge before you think about any of this?? Grab our FREE ‘Closet Declutter Guide’ to help make cleaning it out a cinch!
Where to SPLURGE: Classic Staples
Always, always, and ALWAYS invest in classic pieces. Those suuuuper high quality, $200 jeans that you’re SURE make your butt look like Jenna Dewan from behind?? 100% worth the price tag – especially when you think about how much wear you’ll get out of them and how many different ways you can wear them! Therefore, items like these are best purchased from brands and stores that have been around a while… think Nordstrom, Madewell, J Crew, and Theory as a few examples.
Some other classic/timeless pieces to consider worth an investment:
- Basic black blazer
- T-shirts –one black, one white, one gray
- Heels (black and nude)
- Ankle boots (brown and black)
- Tall boots (brown and black)
- Wedge sandals (black and nude)
- Winter jacket – one functional (ex: down parka) and one for dressing up (ex: wool pea coat)
- Dress pant/trousers – black and white
- White button down blouse
- Chambray button down
- Tailored sheath or fit-n-flare dress (depending on your body type)
- Classic, neutral colors of anything
Where to SAVE: Of-the-Moment Trends
On the other hand, where you want to SAVE is on trendier pieces. You certainly want to watch what you spend on any styles that are ‘happening’ right now. For example – that $20 cold shoulder top that you felt great in, but you aren’t sure how long the cold shoulder look will stick around. Good thing it’s only $20! So shop for items like these at Forever 21, H&M, ASOS, etc. Items can you save money on:
- Trendy patterns (animal print, plaid, a specific floral pattern of the moment, etc)
- Embellished items (ruffles, fringe, pleats or anything else you’re seeing on every sweater and pair of pants the minute you walk into any store lately)
- Whatever colors are ‘SO IN’ this season
- Graphic T-shirts
- Anything floral
- Anything metallic
As a basic rule of thumb, any item you can’t see yourself having worn 5 years ago is probably something you won’t be wearing 5 years from now either. So don’t blow your budget on it!
Thinking you may need a little more hands-on help with what to buy? Meet me over here to see what that looks like!